Tuesday, 26 February 2008

The Magic Filter

I got a magic filter on semi-impulse after I started my new job. I hoped it would be a way of facilitating tea making while at work. I had already experimented with a teapot, paper filters and variations on metal strainers with limited success. Ultimately, you need a proper work surface and a sink to hand to avoid the mess and inevitable drips that seem to materialise whenever making tea in cramped quarters. Having neither, I was hoping the magic filter would mean I wouldn’t have to resort to the infamy of PG Tips for eight hours of the day.

A magic filter is basically a cup with filter mechanism under it. You fill the cup with leaves and water and leave to brew. When the time is up, balance the filter over your tea cup. Pressing the mug into the bottom of the filter releases the lock and the tea streams out into your cup. Take away the mug and the stream stops instantly. Rather nifty.

So far, it has worked pretty well though I have given up making oolongs or Darjeelings. Their qualities were simply not in evidence when preparing the tea in such a slapdash method. Even the cheaper grades were wasted as I couldn’t regulate water temperature or timing very well. This is the fault of my other equipment (and lack of) rather than the tea filter itself.
Robust black teas such as Assam, Black Pearls, and a Lavender Earl Grey however stand up very well to the challenge of poor water quality and 100oC water. It’s certainly a fresher, more flavourful brew than that made with PG Tips.
Green teas also worked quite well, though a generic green leaf tea allows you to brew up something tasty quickly without feeling like your wasting something precious. I wouldn’t suggest bringing your stash of Gyokuro to work.
All in all, a great gadget that makes a cup of tea equal to materials you present it with.

You can buy them online from Nothing But Tea. I bought mine from Ringtons in Canterbury. Ringtons now make their own brand version called a Teafuser. Their website has a video of one in action.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Apologies for hijacking your thread but the email address you supplied is bouncing. Please feel free to move/delete the below comment!

-------------------------------
Dear Francofinn

Canton Tea Co is a small Chinese tea supplier based in London, England. We sell authentic, high quality Chinese teas sourced by expert buyers in China and Taiwan. We would very much appreciate your opinion on our teas and would be glad to send you some samples. Please visit our site and let us know what teas you would like to taste and where we should send them.

We would also like to suggest that we swap links to our respective websites.

With thanks and best wishes,

Jennifer Wood
www.cantonteaco.com

Dennis P said...

Hi Francofinn,

I am writing to let you know that I thoroughly enjoy the content your site offers as I visit your site quite regularly. I also wanted to inform you that we have just begun to syndicate your content on the Twinings website (http://www.twinings.ca/?q=blog). Our main blog contributor is William Lengemen (better known for his Tea Guy Speaks blog).

Our intention with the Twinings blog is to provide an expert tea resource for tea lovers. As a subject matter expert, your blog came up and we decided to syndicate your blog content. We would love for you to check out our website. We would also appreciate any comments or feedback about the site as well.

While we may not be aggregating all the blog entries from your site, we attempt to post all the entries pertaining to tea drinking, tea health benefits, tea reviews, etc. You'll also notice that we have included a link to your website in our blog roll on our page. We would also appreciate a link on your website either in a links, resources, or blog roll section (or wherever is appropriate). Please let me know what you think.

Thanks for your time.

Regards,
Dennis

Brianne said...

Sorry to leave this in a comment but I couldn't find an email address on your blog.

I just wanted to reach out to you as we just launched a new line of organic tea from Bangladesh. Also we have just uploaded a beautiful HD video that was filmed at the tea garden in Bangladesh. I would love for you to take a look at it and give us any feedback that you may have! And feel free to embed to your own blog.

On Vimeo:
http://www.vimeo.com/1112853

On Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSAEazYy25E

Cheers,
Brianne

francofinn said...

Hello, thank you for your comments and links - they are much appreciated.
I will post about these as soon as I can.
If you would like to contact me directly with any further information about your site or tea please email me:
francofinn(at)hotmail.com

Thanks!